Monday 10 June 2013

HAUL: another small haul. nail polish and brushes __MakeuPanda

Firstly I wanted to address the fact that all of my haul-type posts are likely to be "Small hauls" or that kind of thing, so I apologise for the repetitive nature of this blog. I hardly ever go out on a shopping spree when it comes to beauty items, it's usually just a spur of the moment oh-my-gosh-i-need-that or let's-just-have-a-nip-in-Superdrug-oh-crap-I've-bought-stuff-I-don't-need-AGAIN. 
 So these are my oh-my-gosh-i-need that items as of late. In theory I could just keep adding to this as I tend to buy new things all the time but never go mad all at once. I'm not sure which is the lesser of two evils!

Layla Hologram effect Nail Polish in 08 Flash Black - £6.32, Amazon.co.uk

This is a really amazing nail polish as it is actually very holograph-y. It goes on a deep grey base which shines loads of different colours in the light. It was really hard to get a photo of this actually looking decent (especially in my current camera-lacking sitch), but I first saw this on another blog called Goose's Glitter, I'll link the post here, because her photos give it so much more justice. her blog is so addictive as she makes you want EVERY nail polish ever!
I do like this nail polish but I will say I needed three coats of it on it's own for it to look smooth and opaque. However, it was a bit of a strange consistancy and when I swiped over a nail a second stroke just to even it out (as you would normally do to apply your polish), it almost removed some of the polish I had just put on. Kinda like writing with a whiteboard marker over whiteboard marker! Very odd.
Overall I do like it though and I would be tempted to buy another shade or two. It's very eye-catching. I bought my friend the violet shade for her birthday and she said that colour was really pretty too.
I got this on Amazon for £6.32 with free delivery and I think it's worth the pennies. Very nice! The picture below shows it on my nails but as I said before it really doesn't do it justice!

Real Techniques your eyes/enhanced starter set - £21.99, Boots

I finally got some more Real Techniques brushes!
I already have the expert face brush which is fantastic and hands down the best brush I own for applying foundation, so I was expecting just as good results from these badboys.
I tried them out today, I used the largest one (I believe this is called the Deluxe Crease Brush) for buffing out concealer and it was amazing, very light and easy to use, I can imagine people just starting out with makeup would find these a walk in the park to use!
The Base Shadow Brush was great for applying a smokey grey to my crease and is very soft. I'd say because these are synthetic and not real hair they don't pick up as much colour as say, a MAC 217 (which is what I would compare this brush to), but are equally nice.
The smallest one, the Accent Brush, was good for under-eye application as it's small enough to really get in there but fluffy enough to not leave harsh lines or require any post-application-larger-fluffy-brush-action.
Although I wasn't that sure about how much I would use the Brow Brush and Pixel-Point Eyeliner Brush - I already have SO many of these, and they are usually all the same! I even have a Poundland tapered liner brush I use for my brows everyday! - I used the Brow brush today and it's really fantastic. It seems to really blend the colour in whilst you apply, lessening the need for spoolie blending.
I have yet to use the eyeliner brush as I personally prefer a tapered brow-type brush for liner as opposed to these tall pencily-types. I am sure it is also very useful for most people though!
Overall I'd say these are really fab brushes especially for the price, and ontop of all that it feels great to be buying brushes from a youtuber!

Sinful Colors Nail Polish in shade 801 Love Nails - £1.99, Boots

I also grabbed this whilst in Boots getting the brushes. I had seen other beauty gurus on youtube raving about these being so good for the money and I have to agree! I picked up this beautiful metallic teal. Its a great formula and a large (15ml) bottle. The photos below are with two coats and Seche Vite topcoat. I've had it on a whole day now and no signs of chipping at all, I will let you know how long it lasted. It's really vivid and keeps you staring at your nails every 5 minutes. As you can see in the photos it could perhaps do with a third coat for full opacity but being metallic you can get away with it.
Really like this, a shade I don't already have an exact dupe for, so I'm happy!
Without the flash, two coats
With flash, two coats

Thanks for reading, hope you had a fantastic weekend!
Please feel free to comment any questions you may have.
Have a great day,
Jess xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment